Celebrate your local, regional asparagus, whenever it shows up in your local farmers’ market, after months of apples, potatoes and sturdy greens. Simply shaved, then dressed with oil and paired with rocket and Parmesan, it makes for a spring salad of enormous satisfaction.
- ½ kilo large or medium size asparagus
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 300 grams of washed rocket
- Chunk of Parmesan, for shaving
- Sliced prosciutto
- Snap off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus. Using a vegetable peeler or thin-bladed knife, slice the asparagus lengthwise into paper-thin ribbons.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil to make a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Place the asparagus ribbons in a shallow salad bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper and coat with half the dressing. Add the rocket, tossing gently to distribute the asparagus. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- With a vegetable peeler, shave thin curls of Parmesan over the salad. Accompany with a platter of sliced prosciutto.
It is that easy.